You are at home » directory » district library, mandi
District Library, Mandi
The rulers of the region claim to be the descendents of Chandravanshis Rajputs of Sena dynasty of Bengal, who claim to be descendents of Pandavas of the Mahabharata. The town of Mandi was established by Ajbar Sen in 1527 AD.
The present District of Mandi was formed with the merger of two princely states of Mandi and Suket on the 15th April, 1948, when the State of Himachal Pradesh was established.
The library was established in the year 1959 at old court building. Later it was shifted to the present location in the year 1986.
The library shares the ground floor of the Mini Secretariate building with other administrative offices, that has been provided rent free by the local administration. The entrance gallery has Librarians's Room, Office and Store on the right and Reading Room, Stack Room with separate reading sections on the left.
Mandi town is located at a distance of 145 Kms from the state capital Shimla, 460 Kms from National Capital New Delhi and 210 Kms from Chandigarh. Mandi has an average elevation of 750 metres. It is built on the bankis of the Beas River, at the confluence of the suketi Khad stream.
The library is situated on the ground floor of the Mini Secretariate, near DC office, near the famous Indira Market.
Chronological list of librarians,
- Mr Tek Chand Verma from 28.01.1959 to 28.01.1968
- Mr Roop Singh Guleria from 29.01.1968 to 03.09.1972
- Mr Tek Chand Verma from 04.09.1972 to 31.03.1983
- Mr Somesh Chand Sharma from 23.06.1983 to 31.05.1992
- Mr Bhoop Singh Verma from 03.08.1994 to 02.12.1998
- Mr Vijay Behl from 03.12.1998 to 19.06.2007
- Mr Jaimala Mahajan from 20.06.2007 to 12.09.2007
- Ms Sulochana Katoch from 13.09.2007 to 31.07.2009
- Mr Prem Lal Thakur from 04.12.2009 to 06.05.2010
- Ms Sudesh Gupta from 05.05.2010 to present
The library has following posts:
|Sr.No.||Designation||No. of Posts|
* temporary/part time positons
The library has a collection of more than 40272 books in English and Hindi.
The library subscribes 16 newspapers in 2 languages i.e. English, Hindi and 27 magazines/periodicals.
The major newspapers subscribed by the library are:
|Sr.No.||Name of Newspaper||Language|
|4||Times of India||English|
The library has 11984 registered members till now and of these 570 are active.
The library offers membership for a period of 3 years and is renewable thereafter. There is no membership fee, but a refundable security needs to be paid at the time of Ist registration. This secutiry is carried forward during periodical renewals.
Membership Security (Refundable):
- Adults Rs 200
- Children (14 years or below) Rs 50
The library makes use of 3 computers with internet facility for office work but the library services are offered manually.
Apart from the gazetted holidays the library remains closed on every Tuesday and last Saturday of the month. The library timings vary according to the season.
- Summer (Ist April to 30th September) 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Winter (Ist October to 31st March) 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Near Deputy Commisioner (DC) Office,
Phone: +91 1905 221 404
© 2008-2018 PunLib
All Rights Reserved ((Read Best View))